Monday, October 29, 2007

Ann Michelle... What's in the name?

Ann

The boy's and girl's name Ann \a-nn\ is pronounced an. It is of Hebrew origin, and its meaning is "favored grace". Simplified form of Anne, the English form of Hannah. A name favored by royalty and commoners for centuries. Among the royal name bearers: two queens of England, a queen of France, an empress of Russia and, today, Princess Anne of England. Also made popular by L.M. Montogomery's story "Anne of Green Gables" (1908). Anna is the European form; Anya is Russian. Annie is a pet form; Anouk is a French pet form. Saint Anne (mother of the Virgin Mary); Anne Boleyn, Queen of England; ballerina Anna Pavlova; Wild West sharpshooter Annie Oakley; actresses Anouk Aimée, Anne Bancroft, Anne Heche, Anna Paquin; writer Ayn Rand; diarist Anne Frank; tennis player Anna Kournikova; golfer Annika Sorenstam.

Michelle

The girl's name Michelle \m(i)-chelle, mich(el)-le\ is pronounced mee-SHELL. It is of French and Hebrew origin, and its meaning is "who resembles God". Feminine form of Michael. A popular name when it was first used in the 1940s, and made even more so by the Beatles' famous song "Michelle" in the 1970s. Popular in Germany. Actresses Michelle Pfeiffer, Sara Michelle Gellar; singer Me'Shell N'Degé Ocello; figure skater Michelle Kwan.

Source: http://www.thinkbabynames.com/

Got this from Li-an's blog. I never really thought that my name "Michelle" has meaning... My dad was and is still a big fan of Beatles that's why my parents named me Michelle, which is taken from the Beatle's song, which goes like "Michelle Ma Belle" [meaning Michelle My Beautiful]... Ayus! I like that song kasi nga beautiful daw eh *flips hair*... Hahaha! Moreover, Michelle means "who resembles God". Hmmm... not sure about that though. Hahaha! And then I was also named after St. Ann kasi we were raised in Sta. Ana Manila. My 2 sisters also got Ann in their names... Ann Millaine and Danni Ann. My youngest sis Danni was raised in San Pedro, Laguna but since her 2 sisters got Ann on their names, my mom also put Ann as her second name.

Now I wonder if I myself will have kids, what names will I give them...
Hmmm... I think I already have few ideas but only for girl's names. Hehehe! I will just let Jay-ar to come up with guy's names.

No comments:

Post a Comment