Tuesday, March 24, 2009

On Baking

One good thing of having a lot of extra time in your hands is you get to try a lot of new things that you haven't tried before. For me, I tried doing some simple desserts. I have tried for the first time making a Leche Flan. I can say it was successful. Aside from messing up with the steamer at first, everthing else went okay. It looked like Leche Flan and it also tasted like one so I guess I can say that I did pretty good for a first timer. Hehehe!
Though I wish I could say the same for the 2nd dessert I tried to make, which is Brazo de Mercedes. It was going smooth at first then I forgot to grease with butter the aluminum foil I used to cover the baking tray. As a result, half of the merengue (made from egg whites) was stuck in the aluminum foil. So I only got from the foil half of the merengue which was very thin.

I think I am not going to try doing Brazo de Mercedes again in the near future. Making the merengue was very difficult as I was only using a whisk instead of an electric mixer. Can you imagine, I was whisking the egg whites for 30 minutes already and I still cannot get the consistency and texture that I wanted. My arm was killing me already. But after 30 mins or so, I got enough bubbles to use for the merengue. Even though the Brazo de Mercedes attempt was a disaster, the finish product was still edible. Hehehe! It definitely did not look like Brazo de Mercedes but it 'somewhat' tasted like one. Hehehe! Well, I learned from my mistakes and I know what to do the next time I tried doing it although as I have said, it won't be so soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment